WannaCry ransomware, Google Docs phishing email scam, security breaches, fake calls… the list of recent digital threats goes on and on. With thousands of devices full of data already compromised, it’s important to discuss the precautions we can take on how to safely browse the internet — no matter if you use a phone, laptop, desktop, or tablet.
Here are 11 tips on how to safely browse the internet:
- Install antivirus, spyware, malware, and ransomware programs with browser plugins.
- Don’t visit any suspicious sites or click on any spammy ads.
- Shop online with only trusted websites (and never enter your personal or payment info into untrustworthy sites!).
- Check the top of your web browser to ensure the website you’re on is deemed SECURE with an https:// URL.
- Read up on popular scams of the week to be in-the-know of what to look out for.
- Make sure you’re always connected to a safe wifi network.
- Install a sturdy firewall.
- Download files and attachments from safe websites and familiar email addresses.
- Avoid unwanted tracking by regularly browsing in incognito mode and clearing your web browser’s cookies and cache.
- Be careful of opening or answering weird emails from unknown senders.
Thanks for reading! Do you have any more tips on how to safely surf the web? Let us know in the comments below.